44. Podcast on the Battle of the Bidassoa: fought on 7th October 1813 during the Peninsular War with Wellington’s army crossing the River Bidassoa into France
43. Podcast on the Battle of San Marcial: fought on 31st August and 1st September 1813 along the French border, during the Peninsular War; with Spanish troops decisively repelling the French attack
42. Podcast on the Battle of the Pyrenees: the battles fought between 25th July and 2nd August 1813 in the western Pyrenees Mountains, during the Peninsular War; Wellington decisively repelling Marshal Soult’s incursion across the border to relieve the French garrisons in Pamplona and San Sebastian
41. Podcast on the Storming of San Sebastian: the hard-fought struggle to capture the city port on the north-east coast of Spain near the French border between 11th July and 9th September 1813 in the Peninsular War
40. Podcast on the Battle of San Millan and Osma: the clash in the mountains of Northern Spain on 18th June 1813 between the van of Wellington’s advancing army and General Reille’s French ‘Army of Portugal’, as it withdrew to Vitoria
39. Podcast on the Battle of Morales de Toro: The successful cavalry action fought by the British Hussar Brigade against the French 16th and 21st Dragoons on 1st June 1813 in the Peninsular War
38. Podcast on the Retreat from Burgos: Wellington’s retreat to Ciudad Rodrigo following the unsuccessful attack on Burgos in the Autumn of 1812 in the Peninsular War
37. Podcast on the Attack on Burgos between 19th September and 25th October 1812 in the Peninsular War: Wellington’s unsuccessful assault on the Spanish City following the Battle of Salamanca
36. Podcast on the Battle of Majadahonda: the engagement on 11th August 1812 in the Peninsular War between Wellington’s advanced guard and Joseph Buonaparte’s cavalry rear-guard
35. Podcast on the Battle of Garcia Hernandez fought on 23rd July 1812 in the Peninsular War, the second day of the Battle of Salamanca, when King’s German Legion Dragoons overwhelmed French infantry squares during the French retreat
34. Podcast on the Capture of Havana: The capture of the Spanish port of Havana on the island of Cuba on 14th August 1762 in the Seven Years War by the Royal Navy and the British Army in a notably successful combined operation
33. Podcast on the Battle of Laswaree: The triumph of British and Bengal light cavalry in General Lake’s defeat of the Gwalior Mahrattas on 1st November 1803, after capturing Delhi, the future capital city of British-ruled India
32. Podcast on the Storming of Siringapatam: The capture on 4th May 1799 of Tipu Sultan’s palace fortress: A key battle in the conquest of South India by the British
31. Podcast on the Battle of Almaraz: Rowland Hill’s resourceful destruction of the fortified French bridge of boats at Almaraz over the River Tagus on 19th May 1812 during the Peninsular War
30. Podcast of the Battle of Villagarcia: The successful cavalry action fought by the British against the French on 11th April 1812 during the Peninsular War
29. Podcast of the Battle of Salamanca: Wellington’s victory on 22nd July 1812 over the French army of Marshal Marmont, during the Peninsular War, leading to the re-capture of Madrid; also known as the Battle of Los Arapiles or Les Arapiles
28. Podcast of the Battle of Vitoria: Wellington’s decisive defeat of Joseph Bonaparte’s French army on 21st June 1813 in North-Eastern Spain in the Peninsular War
27. Podcast of the Storming of Badajoz: Wellington’s capture, on 6th April 1812, of the second French base on the Portuguese border, the southern gateway for the British invasion of Spain, during the Peninsular War
26. Podcast of the Storming of Ciudad Rodrigo: The sudden capture by Wellington on 19th January 1812 of Marmont’s ‘base of operations’ for the intended third French invasion of Portugal during the Peninsular War
25. Podcast of the Battle of Arroyo Molinos: the spectacular destruction of Girard’s French Division by General Rowland Hill on 28th October 1811 in the Peninsular War
24. Podcast of the Battle of El Bodon: The successful rear-guard actions fought on 25th September 1811 in the Peninsular War by Wellington’s troops against French cavalry.
23. Podcast of the Battle of Usagre: The brisk battle fought on 25th May 1811 in the Peninsular War, where a powerful force of French dragoons was overwhelmed by the British 3rd Dragoon Guards and 4th Dragoons with their Spanish and Portuguese allies.
22. Podcast of the Battle of Albuera: Marshal Beresford’s hard-fought battle against Marshal Soult on 16th May 1811 during the Peninsular War, with his army of British, Portuguese and Spanish troops.
21. Podcast of the Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro: Wellington’s hard-fought battle to prevent the French Army of Portugal under Marshal Massena relieving the fortress of Almeida on 3rd to 5th May 1811 in the Peninsular War.
20. Podcast of the Battle of Sabugal: The Peninsular War action fought on 3rd April 1811 by the Light Division against Reynier’s French Second Corps on the north-eastern border of Portugal during Massena’s retreat to Spain.
19. Podcast of the Battle of Redinha or Pombal: The indecisive battle fought on 12th March 1811 in Western Central Portugal during Massena’s retreat from the Lines of Torres Vedras to the River Mondego, following the unsuccessful French attempt to capture Lisbon during the Peninsular War.
18. Podcast of the Battle of Campo Maior: the Peninsular War action fought on 25th March 1811, where the British 13th Light Dragoons charged and swept away a larger force of French cavalry before capturing a train of artillery.
17. Podcast of the Battle of Barossa: General Graham’s notable victory, also known as the Battle of Chiclana, over the French during the march to Cadiz on 5th March 1811 in the Peninsular War.
15. Podcast of the Battle of Waterloo: the battle fought on 18th June 1815 that ended the dominance of the French Emperor Napoleon over Europe and saw the end of an epoch.
14. Podcast of the Battle of Busaco: Wellington’s highly successful holding battle fought on 27th September 1810 in Western Portugal against Marshal Massena’s invading French army, as the British and Portuguese withdrew to Lisbon and the Lines of Torres Vedras, during the Peninsular War.
13. Podcast of the Battle of the River Coa, the British Light Division’s fierce battle to escape from Marshal Ney’s French corps across the River Coa on 24th July 1810 in the Peninsular War.
12. Podcast of The Great Siege of Gibraltar, between 8th July 1779 and 2nd February 1783, whose defence under General Eliott so inspired Great Britain at a time of defeat in the American Revolutionary War.
11. Podcast: Braddock’s Defeat Part 1: The account of General Braddock’s expedition to Fort Duquesne in 1755: Part 1: The origins of General Braddock’s expedition.
9. Podcast of the Battle of Talavera: The British victory south of Madrid on 28th July 1809 over Joseph Bonaparte, the King imposed on Spain by Napoleon, and his French army in the Peninsular War.
8. Podcast of the Battle of the Crossing of the Douro: The battle, also known as the Second Battle of Oporto, that saw Sir Arthur Wellesley’s (later the Duke of Wellington) successful passage of the River Douro at Oporto in Portugal, on 12th May 1809 during the Peninsular War, forcing Marshal Soult’s French army into headlong and disastrous retreat to Spain:
7. Podcast of the Battle of Corunna: The battle, also known as the Battle of Elviña, that ensured the escape of the British army from Spain on 16thJanuary 1809, during the Peninsular War, with the death of Sir John Moore at the moment of success:
6. Podcast of the Battle of Cacabelos: The battle fought at Cacabelos bridge on 3rd January 1809 during Sir John Moore’s retreat to Corunna in the Peninsular War:
5. Podcast of the Battle of Benavente: The second cavalry battle, fought on 29th December 1808, establishing the early predominance of British cavalry over French in the Peninsular War:
4. Podcast of the Battle of Sahagun: The dawn attack by the British 15th Hussars, on 21st December 1808 in the snow, that routed a French cavalry brigade and set the standard for British cavalry in the Peninsular War; ‘Success to the Fifteenth; and ‘God Save the King’:
3. Podcast of the Battle of Vimeiro: Sir Arthur Wellesley’s victory over the French army of Marshal Junot in Portugal on 21st August 1808, his first major victory in the Peninsular War, which nearly ruined his military career:
2. Podcast of the Battle of Roliça: The first battle fought by the British in the Peninsular War, on 17th August 1808; also, the first of the string of victories over the French won by Sir Arthur Wellesley, later the Duke of Wellington: